Thank You Prince
    • Nov 2008

Never been so amped for a system.

Comment

• JBauerisGod
      ...is amazing.
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
      Well then they probably should have just said nothing, if that's the case. Instead they're saying 17 different things, some contradicting other things said, some contradicting reasons for other announcements. If they release some of the sharing info, but not all of it because they don't have it figured out yet, that makes this already shit PR job even shittier.
      They could just say, "Hey, we know you have concerns about our used game policy, but we have this really cool idea for game sharing. Since we don't have all the details worked out right now, we will be giving you more information at a later date." That way they still get to build excitement about the feature without putting themselves in a corner if they end up changing something.

What Microsoft needs to do now is have someone like Mattrick or some other Xbox big wig and clear up the confusion. Sony was great about this at E3. Shuhei Yohida answered a ton of questions on Twitter the day after Sony's press conference with simple yes or no answers. Jack Tretton didn't beat around the bush either. Geoff Keighley asked him to confirm if people would have to indeed pay for Playstation Plus to play multiplayer games online and he said yes, but then followed it up with how the gamer gets more value out of the PS+ by doing that.

Someone at Microsoft in that situation would have just went full politician and dodged the question, saying how the Xbone "is future-proof" and how gamers are getting "thousands of dollars of value" out of the system. See: Angry Joe's interview with Major Nelson. I'm pretty sure there's a drinking game in that interview. Take a shot every time Major Nelson says "built for the future" or "future proof."

Comment

• jms493
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JBauerisGod
        They could just say, "Hey, we know you have concerns about our used game policy, but we have this really cool idea for game sharing. Since we don't have all the details worked out right now, we will be giving you more information at a later date." That way they still get to build excitement about the feature without putting themselves in a corner if they end up changing something.

What Microsoft needs to do now is have someone like Mattrick or some other Xbox big wig and clear up the confusion. Sony was great about this at E3. Shuhei Yohida answered a ton of questions on Twitter the day after Sony's press conference with simple yes or no answers. Jack Tretton didn't beat around the bush either. Geoff Keighley asked him to confirm if people would have to indeed pay for Playstation Plus to play multiplayer games online and he said yes, but then followed it up with how the gamer gets more value out of the PS+ by doing that.

Someone at Microsoft in that situation would have just went full politician and dodged the question, saying how the Xbone "is future-proof" and how gamers are getting "thousands of dollars of value" out of the system. See: Angry Joe's interview with Major Nelson. I'm pretty sure there's a drinking game in that interview. Take a shot every time Major Nelson says "built for the future" or "future proof."
        Well dont give Sony too much credit...all they did was say "we aren't changing anything" and "our system costs $399."

Comment

• Twigg4075
          Kindergarten Cop
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
          Well the question at the bottom, why isn't MS yelling about it? Seriously, why? If this is so awesome, why isn't it being boasted about? There has to be a reason considering it was said on GameTrailers that the PS4 is outselling the Xbone 8:1 right now. If that's anywhere near accurate, WHY aren't they talking about this to sell more boxes? Is this not fishy to anyone?

I'm finding it hard to believe that they are going to shred into game sales like this. How do dev's/pub's approve of lost game sales? Casual gamers who are friends with dorks like Twigg that buy everything, never will have to buy a game as long as they stay friends. Twigg is only playing one game at once, so Casual dudebro has everything else at his disposal for free?

I just don't understand how this makes any positive sense to dev studio. This is no worse than used games to them, I don't see how it isn't.

Used Games: Someone buys a game new, returns to Gamestop. They resell that copy 10 times. Dev sees just one sale.
          XberxJuan: Someone buys a game and stores it in their cloud. All their family friends can access that game when it's available at any point it's not in use. Dev sees just one sale. 2 people can even co-op together. You get two buddies who co-op everything and now just need to spend half the money to play everything they want.

Yes that sounds beyond great for a consumer, truly it does, but dev's say "used games are dying, you can't have AAA games with used game markets around!" . But apparently you can have AAA games where you sell can sell 1 copy for every 2 people without any loss of functionality including online?
          That's my point. I'm convinved before this thing shakes out there will be massive restrictions with this family circle thing. Primetime is corwing the One the greatest console to ever be created simply because of that feature and I have a feeling he's in for a rude awakening.

But like I've said several times, I hope that stuff is true as the feature would be great for consumers. Doing something positive for consumers isn't a thing MS has done for a long time.
          Originally posted by SethMode

Wouldn't that then be implying that part of MS' plan was to just be as confusing as possible so that everyone talks about how confused they are/how much they think the system sucks?

And come on man, we were talking about these consoles before they launched. It's not like the new Xbox ever had a chance of not being talked about.
          Exactly. No such thing as bad press, eh? That's why the PS4 pre-orders are so much higher than One. Is KG right about the 8:1 thing?

I honestly believe they don't have much of this stuff nailed down yet which is why all of their info is so sporadic, contradictory and just plain all over the place. But if it's not locked down talking about it in any form is going to cause shit storms like we have now.

Comment

• Twigg4075
            Kindergarten Cop
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
            Well the question at the bottom, why isn't MS yelling about it? Seriously, why? If this is so awesome, why isn't it being boasted about? There has to be a reason considering it was said on GameTrailers that the PS4 is outselling the Xbone 8:1 right now. If that's anywhere near accurate, WHY aren't they talking about this to sell more boxes? Is this not fishy to anyone?

I'm finding it hard to believe that they are going to shred into game sales like this. How do dev's/pub's approve of lost game sales? Casual gamers who are friends with dorks like Twigg that buy everything, never will have to buy a game as long as they stay friends. Twigg is only playing one game at once, so Casual dudebro has everything else at his disposal for free?

I just don't understand how this makes any positive sense to dev studio. This is no worse than used games to them, I don't see how it isn't.

Used Games: Someone buys a game new, returns to Gamestop. They resell that copy 10 times. Dev sees just one sale.
            XberxJuan: Someone buys a game and stores it in their cloud. All their family friends can access that game when it's available at any point it's not in use. Dev sees just one sale. 2 people can even co-op together. You get two buddies who co-op everything and now just need to spend half the money to play everything they want.

Yes that sounds beyond great for a consumer, truly it does, but dev's say "used games are dying, you can't have AAA games with used game markets around!" . But apparently you can have AAA games where you sell can sell 1 copy for every 2 people without any loss of functionality including online?
            Originally posted by Primetime
            Isn't the PS3 swap just for PSN games though? Also only on 2 systems max, correct?
            Yes, but you do know you can download full games on PS3 too, right? Almost ever major release form the past year or so is available for download.

But again, that's why I said "basically".

Comment

• Primetime
              Thank You Prince
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Twigg4075
              Yes, but you do know you can download full games on PS3 too, right? Almost ever major release form the past year or so is available for download.

But again, that's why I said "basically".
              Thanks. I didn't know that, nor even how it works. The only game I've played regularly on PS3 the last couple years has been The Show.

Comment

• Nucking Futs
                Word Life
                • Jul 2010

I dont think it will hurt sales as bad as ppl think. If only one person is allowed in the Joe Bob's library at a time, that can sway someone to go out and get the game himself so he has no restrictions on when he can play it.

It bascially can give someone a taste, the Full Game tho, with limits. So if a person who I allowed played my Madden 25 and ended up loving it but I also have my little bro in my library at the same you tend to be on, then you have two options. Buy the game yourself or wait for my bro to get off.

o TH3 N3RD o

Comment

• Handleit_44
                  Posts a lot
                  • Jun 2009

Major Nelson Addresses DRM Concerns, Silencing Don Mattrick and How PS4 Isn’t a Threat

A Reddit user recently got in touch with Larry “Major Nelson” Hyrb, the community manager for Xbox, and obtained a wealth of information regarding the Xbox One. Despite the official Redditor’s E3 interview, which confirms a few of the details, there’s a ton of other stuff here to take into account. Take it all with a grain of salt as usual, but considering the user’s credibility (most likely a journalist, since he went to E3 and by judging by his profile here), it’s hard to discredit.

Regarding the current opinion of the Xbox One, don’t count on Microsoft changing their DRM strategy any time soon. In fact, they’ll be working to “educate” gamers about the benefits of their policies.

It’s also revealed that the 24 hour check-in is a means to update your library, for when you lend games to friends. Which is funny because the with game trades limited, why would it need updating every 24 hours? No good answers there and no clear understanding as to why it inconveniences consumers.

And say goodbye to leaks, since Microsoft is also working on a system where games can only be activated on release, no matter when you buy them.

It also looks at the PS4 as “Xbox 360 version 2″ due to the lack of social and multi-tasking features. The company doesn’t even see Sony as a threat. Even better, it believes that the PS4′s graphics RAM will run hotter, besides not being as optimized as the Xbox One. Thus leading to both being evenly matched or, believe it or not, the Xbox One performing ahead.

The good news is that the company sees Don Mattrick as some one who is making them look worse, and is working to muffle him.

As for military personnel playing consoles: the defense given is that PS3/PS4 won’t be allowed on DoD networks. So the whole issue of military members switching to the PlayStation while on deployment is a non-issue. Scroll down in the comments on that thread, and you’ll find military personnel who agree – but state that they can still play offline. Also, how would that inspired a switch to the Xbox One, since it needs to be online?

Nelson also talked about changing the messaging and marketing campaigns to support those whose friends would be jumping to PSN. He said they understood that and were going to be working to actively change the messaging and marketing campaigns. Hilariously, they don’t feel that pre-orders will determine the console war until both consoles are released.

He also pointed out that unlike the free games you get on PSN, the two free games per month on XBL are yours forever. Whereas if you cancel your PS Plus subscription, you would lose those games.

Comment

• jms493
                    • Feb 2009

So the new 360 comes with headset but xbone wont come with one? That true?

Comment

• jms493
                      • Feb 2009

Interesting about the 2 "free" games

Comment

• JBauerisGod
                        ...is amazing.
                        • Feb 2009

He also pointed out that unlike the free games you get on PSN, the two free games per month on XBL are yours forever. Whereas if you cancel your PS Plus subscription, you would lose those games.
                        Whereas if you cancel your XBL subscription, you lose every game you've ever purchased for the Xbox One.

Comment

• Atlas
                          BRACK FRIDAY BUNDURU!!!!!
                          • Feb 2010

Whereas if you cancel your XBL subscription, you lose every game you've ever purchased for the Xbox One.
                          where did you get this?

Comment

• Primetime
                            Thank You Prince
                            • Nov 2008

Why would someone cancel a free subscription?

Comment

• JBauerisGod
                              ...is amazing.
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Primetime
                              Why would someone cancel a free subscription?
                              I now see what he was saying. So I'm guessing you gotta have XBL Gold to download the game, but if you cancel your Gold subscription, you keep the game. Makes sense.

My bad. :suarez:

Comment

• Primetime
                                Thank You Prince
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by jms493
                                So the new 360 comes with headset but xbone wont come with one? That true?
                                MS said early on that one was included with every console purchase. I'm not sure why they would change what they did with the 360.

Turtle Beach has been announced as the official Xbox One brand so maybe that has something to do with it, but I doubt it.

Comment

Working...