Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twigg4075
    Kindergarten Cop
    • Feb 2009

I'm still waiting for PT to defend his idiotic argument that it was solely Target's decision to have that sale. With someone that owns as much stock in companies like he does you would think he would be a little more informed how business works.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk.

Comment

• Primetime
      Thank You Prince
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Twigg4075
      I'm still waiting for PT to defend his idiotic argument that it was solely Target's decision to have that sale. With someone that owns as much stock in companies like he does you would think he would be a little more informed how business works.

MS specifically said it was nothing in their end and solely the decision of Target. You'll never believe what they say anyway so what's the point...

Comment

• Maynard
        stupid ass titles
        • Feb 2009

why would MS tell a retailer to have a sale? MS only sets the MSRP and then the retailers buy units and are obligated to make sales based on the units they agreed to buy from the manufacturer.

if target cant sell the units, they are still forced to pay the manufacturer so if sales are down, they can offer a sale to boost sales. Target doesnt want to eat the costs of the units and is probably in dire need of a sale due to the fraud that took place there. So they figure they will give a gift card to generate sales and at the same time boost stock from the sales that will come from the gift card.

Comment

• Twigg4075
          Kindergarten Cop
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
          why would MS tell a retailer to have a sale? MS only sets the MSRP and then the retailers buy units and are obligated to make sales based on the units they agreed to buy from the manufacturer.

if target cant sell the units, they are still forced to pay the manufacturer so if sales are down, they can offer a sale to boost sales. Target doesnt want to eat the costs of the units and is probably in dire need of a sale due to the fraud that took place there. So they figure they will give a gift card to generate sales and at the same time boost stock from the sales that will come from the gift card.
          That's not how it works at all. If retailers can't sell the units they can send the units back. But most if the time the producing company, in this case MS, will coordinate a sale or promotion with the retailer in hopes of moving the units in lieu of sending them back.

One of the many reasons why companies like MS, Sony, Nintendo still have to maintain solid relationships with retailers because without them they couldn't get their consoles into homes. A lot of the reason why digital prices of games suck because they can't undercut their relationships with retailers.

Comment

• Twigg4075
            Kindergarten Cop
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Primetime
            MS specifically said it was nothing in their end and solely the decision of Target. You'll never believe what they say anyway so what's the point...
            Link?

Comment

• Atlas
              BRACK FRIDAY BUNDURU!!!!!
              • Feb 2010

That's not how it works at all. If retailers can't sell the units they can send the units back. But most if the time the producing company, in this case MS, will coordinate a sale or promotion with the retailer in hopes of moving the units in lieu of sending them back.

One of the many reasons why companies like MS, Sony, Nintendo still have to maintain solid relationships with retailers because without them they couldn't get their consoles into homes. A lot of the reason why digital prices of games suck because they can't undercut their relationships with retailers.

im 99% sure only walmart has agreements like this, and its only for non-electronic, mass produced items...

Comment

• Twigg4075
                Kindergarten Cop
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Atlas
                im 99% sure only walmart has agreements like this, and its only for non-electronic, mass produced items...
                Nope. I've had tons of friends/acquaintances that have worked at Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. Most of which I've met just while working and responding to calls at the stores. A guy on the midnight shift at my precinct was a loss prevention officer at Best Buy for five years before joining our department. They all told me the same thing in regards to the consoles. The retailers make almost ZERO profit on them. Back in the ps2 days they made ONE PENNY on each console.
                So much for your 99% certainty. Hell, go on CAG or Best Buy's forums and ask a rep directly if I'm right. I'm 100% certain of what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Atlas
                  • Feb 2010

They dont make the manufacturers buy back electronics, or else things like the Best Buy Private Store/Auction House wouldn't exist. Hell, the Best Buy Private Store still had some fat boy OG PS3's a couple years ago when I was looking for some, but I guess that's just a happy coincidence.

The only time electronics get sent back to the manufacturer is when they are defective, that's it.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                    Kindergarten Cop
                    • Feb 2009

They dont make the manufacturers buy back electronics, or else things like the Best Buy Private Store/Auction House wouldn't exist. Hell, the Best Buy Private Store still had some fat boy OG PS3's a couple years ago when I was looking for some, but I guess that's just a happy coincidence.

The only time electronics get sent back to the manufacturer is when they are defective, that's it.
                    It is very rare that they get sent back, but they do. But most of the time the company refunds some or most if the original purchase cost.
                    I assure you that you are way off. You know nothing how retail works. If you don't believe me feel free to go on the CAG or Best Buy forums. They have reps that will respond directly to your questions. This exact policy is what was behind the rumors of MS's initial inflated sakes numbers of the XBOne. The rumor was that they were counting the sales to retailers, but when the retailers were sending units back and MS 'redistributed' them to other retailers they counted it as another sale. Which also brings us to the difference between selling TO and selling THROUGH. But I'm sure you're smart enough to know the difference between the two...either at least 99% certainty.
                    As for a retailer still having fat ps3s,I'd love to see that. I haven't seen those in years, anywhere. But even if they do exist I assure you Sony refunded a large chunk of the original purchase price to the retailer so that they would retain the consoles instead of shipping them back.

Last edited by Twigg4075; 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Atlas
                      • Feb 2010

One of my former roommates is an Assistant Manager at a Target in Miami, he just told me this:

"Yes we make some manufacturers buy back unsold items, but the bigger ones, like Apple, Sony, Nintendo and MS, we either keep it until we sell it or ship it to another store when they sell out of it."

The other crap your spewing is something I have not even argued, I only said that stores like walmart, target and BB DO NOT MAKE MS BUY BACK CONSOLES, which is what you stated.

edit: he included samsung and HP in there as well, dont blow a gasket b/c of the apple thing twigg.

edit 2: I worked in retail for four years, so I'm pretty sure I know how it works, especially when compared to you.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                        Kindergarten Cop
                        • Feb 2009

One of my former roommates is an Assistant Manager at a Target in Miami, he just told me this:

"Yes we make some manufacturers buy back unsold items, but the bigger ones, like Apple, Sony, Nintendo and MS, we either keep it until we sell it or ship it to another store when they sell out of it."

The other crap your spewing is something I have not even argued, I only said that stores like walmart, target and BB DO NOT MAKE MS BUY BACK CONSOLES, which is what you stated.

edit: he included samsung and HP in there as well, dont blow a gasket b/c of the apple thing twigg.

edit 2: I worked in retail for four years, so I'm pretty sure I know how it works, especially when compared to you.
                        Did you ask him if the companies refunded a chunk of the purchase price on the unsold units?

Comment

• Atlas
                          • Feb 2010

Contacted and awaiting a reply.

Comment

• Maynard
                            stupid ass titles
                            • Feb 2009

no thats completely wrong

Comment

• MrBill
                              Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
                              • Feb 2009

This would make a great thread to talk about how console manufacturers handle sales and inventory. It's not Xbox One specific.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                                Kindergarten Cop
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MrBill
                                This would make a great thread to talk about how console manufacturers handle sales and inventory. It's not Xbox One specific.
                                Exactly. It's just that in recent history the XBOne is struggling so these policies, retail relationships, sale/promotions, etc are the crux of this convo.

Comment

Working...