X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BonesMahoney
    How many Bucs games did you watch last year? I know it couldn't have been many since you don't live in Florida/aren't going to go out of your way to watch(I think I read in one of the wrestling threads you live in Texas?). And I am talking about watching full games, not the three Bucs highlights ESPN would show.

I can guarantee you didn't watch the Lions game because if you did you would know that loss had nothing to do with Freeman fucking up or "pissing down his leg" and everything to do with some coaching errors and one bullshit call. When it was tied near the end and the Bucs were in the redzone, instead of letting Freeman pass or Blount run, both which were working, Olson decided to run two Cadillac Williams dive plays and a QB Draw with Freeman on 3rd and 6 "to be safe" which led to only a field goal. Then on the Lions last drive of regulation and in OT someone thought it'd be a good idea to put Elbert Mack on Calvin Johnson. I think Calvin got at least half of his catches on those two drives alone.

Before all of that even happened on the drive before the Bucs had scored a TD to take the lead but the refs called a bullshit pass interference call on Winslow which they apologized for later in the week(for the record I hate using refs as excuses but that was such bullshit and partially cost them the game).

Now as for if he is a top 100 player... I can see both sides of the argument and think both could be right. Being a Bucs fan I agree with his position on the list, he showed a lot last year, but if someone doesn't think he should be on the list because it was just one year I couldn't really disagree with that either. I will say I think the "he threw up tons of 50/50 balls and got lucky" thing is bullshit though. I can see a lucky play, maybe even a game, but a lucky season doesn't happen. Gotta give Freeman some credit.
    The "pissed down his leg" comment was in response to Blick, who used the same line regarding Cassel's playoff performance,. The idea being, that at least Casse won when he had to and played in the playoffs.

And like I mentioned earlier, I watched plenty of Bucs games last year, including the Lions game, which if I recall, saw the offense go into a shell as the game progressed, which bnecame a bit of a hot button topic that week. Id like someone to explain to me why Tampa went even more conservative than usual during the pay window portion of that game, if Freeman is the elite level QB that some are proclaiming him to be. That's rhetorical, btw.

And again, although it sounds like I'm trashing him, I'm not. My stance is simply that there is no chance he is one of the best 100 players in the league.

Comment

• Aso
      The Serious House
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Senser81
      He's only thrown for over 300 yards once in his career, and that time he also threw 5 INTs. Tampa seemed to dumb down their offense for Freeman. He averaged 32 att/game his rookie year. Last year, he averaged less than 30 att/game. Tampa made a concerted effort to "hide" Freeman, and it worked. When he had to carry the team with his arm, he couldn't do it. He benefited from a weak schedule and a pretty good defense. In fact, Tampa's defense outranked their offense last season.
      That tampa run defense has teams running scared.

Comment

• Blick
        The Judge
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by killgod
        Not always, but in this case is not the truth. Other than generic "He's awesome guize" comments you got nothing to support your point.
        I think you need to re-read the thread again.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Blick
          He has DirecTV. He's seen every game. Ever.
          In 2008 & 2009, I probably watched 90% of the games in full.

The last two years, id say about 70%. I don't watch most of the primetime games and didn't record all of the 30 min replays like I used to do.

Why is this so hard to fathom? I know I'm not the only one who does this.

Comment

• Aso
            The Serious House
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Senser81
            True. Another guy that stood out for me was Donald Penn. Freeman had all day to throw. I can see why Penn made the Pro Bowl last year.
            Donald Penn sucked last year... The entire bucs offensive line is horrible. Penn is overrated, Davin Joseph is WAY overrated and Jeremy Trueblood is a joke. Freeman was constantly under pressure last year.

Comment

• Blick
              The Judge
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
              In 2008 & 2009, I probably watched 90% of the games in full.

The last two years, id say about 70%. I don't watch most of the primetime games and didn't record all of the 30 min replays like I used to do.

Why is this so hard to fathom? I know I'm not the only one who does this.
              I believe you. I was just giving you shit.

Comment

• Blick
                The Judge
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                The "pissed down his leg" comment was in response to Blick, who used the same line regarding Cassel's playoff performance,. The idea being, that at least Casse won when he had to and played in the playoffs.

And like I mentioned earlier, I watched plenty of Bucs games last year, including the Lions game, which if I recall, saw the offense go into a shell as the game progressed, which bnecame a bit of a hot button topic that week. Id like someone to explain to me why Tampa went even more conservative than usual during the pay window portion of that game, if Freeman is the elite level QB that some are proclaiming him to be. That's rhetorical, btw.

And again, although it sounds like I'm trashing him, I'm not. My stance is simply that there is no chance he is one of the best 100 players in the league.
                Cassel didn't win shit. The Chiefs got a playoff berth due to a weak division that the Bucs would've won as well since they had the same record.

I like how Freeman gets knocked when the coaching staff was the problem like Bones pointed out. Freeman wasn't calling the plays.

Still waiting on your list....

Comment

• BonesMahoney95
                  -_-
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Aso21Raiders
                  Donald Penn sucked last year... The entire bucs offensive line is horrible. Penn is overrated, Davin Joseph is WAY overrated and Jeremy Trueblood is a joke. Freeman was constantly under pressure last year.
                  Freeman was under a lot of pressure last year but it wasn't because of Penn, he sucked in 09 because he put on 50+ pounds during the season but last year he was probowl worthy. The pressure had a lot to do with having to plug different guys in constantly because of injury. Near the end of the year when they had played together for a couple weeks the Oline was solid.

Comment

• Senser81
                    VSN Poster of the Year
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Aso21Raiders
                    Donald Penn sucked last year?? How many Tampa games did you watch last year? Zero?

Comment

• Senser81
                      VSN Poster of the Year
                      • Feb 2009

Don't buy the dumbed down offense observation.
                      Thats nice.

Comment

• Blick
                        The Judge
                        • Mar 2009

Keeping in mind that Net Yards Per Attempt(NY/A) is the most predictive measure PFR has, I wanted to see how Freeman compared to Matt Ryan and the rest of the league. Turns out he does very well. Freeman got 6.5 NY/A, compared to Matt Ryan's 6.0 yards per attempt. Matt Ryan was 25th in the league there, while Freeman was 11th - just behind Drew Brees. In fact of all the young quarterbacks in the league - Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford - Freeman clearly performed second best behind only Aaron Rodgers, who's 5 years older. And not just in Net Yards Per Attempt, this goes for nearly every passing statistic you can find. Josh Freeman had a very good year, but if the stats can be believed, the best is yet to come.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said he's admired Bucs rookie quarterback Josh Freeman ever since they evaluated him before the 2009 NFL Draft.

The first-year coach said New York considered Freeman before trading up 12 spots to pick Southern Cal quarterback Mark Sanchez fifth overall. The Bucs drafted Freeman with the 17th overall pick, dubbing him their future franchise quarterback.

And Ryan apparently feels Tampa Bay is in good hands.

"You knew he was a big strong kid that can run with the football, and he's got a big arm, he can make all the throws," Ryan said. "He reminded me of (Ben) Roethlisberger, who I had to face twice a year, just a big guy. You might have a free blitzer on him, but the guys bounce off him. He's smart, he's poised, like I said, he can make every throw. He's got that huge arm, he can throw on the run. That's why we were definitely considering him, there's no doubt."

"I was impressed with him when I met the young man at his workout. We would give him a little mini playbook and he just spat it out like it was nothing. That's about as impressive as I've ever seen a young man handle that test."

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Amazing.

Freeman was so impressive...that the Jets drafted Sanchez.

Are they able to write that donation to the Bucs off come tax time?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

Nice stats, if the argument was "Is Josh Freeman a top 100 young QB in the NFL".

Freeman was tied for 10th overall in NY/A, behind such stalwarts as Jon Kitna, Matt Schaub, and everyones favorite whipping boy, Eli Manning.

In straight Yards per Attempt, Freeman is nowhere to be found, yet again, Kitna, Schaub, Eli, and DAVID GARRARD cracked the top 10.

Top 100 player, right there.

Comment

• Blick
                              The Judge
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                              Amazing.

Freeman was so impressive...that the Jets drafted Sanchez.

Are they able to write that donation to the Bucs off come tax time?

Peter King of SI.com relays a story from Rex Ryan about how the Jets chose Mark Sanchez over Josh Freeman. Ryan said both quarterbacks blew the Jets away with their smarts and preparation. Ryan says another factor helped to separate Sanchez from the competition.

When the Jets worked out Mark Sanchez, 24 high school and college teammates showed up to catch balls for him. When the Jets worked out Freeman at Kansas State, only two receivers showed up.

“Honestly, that might have been what separated them — the immense respect we sensed from the people who played with Mark and knew him so well,” Ryan said.

The Jets believe they made the right choice following two AFC championship game appearances. We’d argue that Freeman would have been a better selection, even though we expect Sanchez to have a fine career.

Do the 2010 draft all over again, and we’d bet that most NFL teams would prefer Freeman.
                              So, Sanchez got chosen because a bunch of high school and college kids would rather go work out in LA than Manhattan, KS.

Comment

• killgod
                                OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                                • Oct 2008

So, Sanchez got chosen because a bunch of high school and college kids would rather go work out in LA than Manhattan, KS.
                                Rex knows Defence and women's feet. He's no QB guru.

Comment

Working...