X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FedEx227
    Delivers
    • Mar 2009

I don't think he'll return to the ring at a huge full time basis anymore. He's not young and he's really falling apart.

And yeah papa, I agree that he's not going to bring on a golden age (I don't ever think wrestling is going to be in a golden age ever again really) but he's going to bring pro wrestling back into pro wrestling. He's not a sports entertainer, he's a pro wrestler and proud of it. He's learned from the Flair's of the world and he's studied the NWAs. He'll know how to produce and book pro wrestling shows.
    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Bigpapa42
      • Feb 2009

The more I go back to watch Attitude Era stuff and mid-90s WCW, I'm really not sure it was even such a "golden age". It was entertaining, but it was more about entertainment than wrestling, for the most part - which isn't too different from now.

I don't think Triple H would bring the WWE back to actual pro wrestling. Its still going to be "Sports Entertainment". But I do think he would change some things back. Go back to where it was a better balance between the two. The problem I see is that the longer Vince hangs onto the controls, the harder that transition a few steps back would be, as more old guys finish up and not that many of the younger guys have much experience in cutting unscripted promos or working longer matches.

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bigpapa42
        The more I go back to watch Attitude Era stuff and mid-90s WCW, I'm really not sure it was even such a "golden age".
        There were hardly 4* matches on every card, but from a business POV, it was a golden age.

Comment

• FedEx227
          Delivers
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bigpapa42
          The more I go back to watch Attitude Era stuff and mid-90s WCW, I'm really not sure it was even such a "golden age". It was entertaining, but it was more about entertainment than wrestling, for the most part - which isn't too different from now.

I don't think Triple H would bring the WWE back to actual pro wrestling. Its still going to be "Sports Entertainment". But I do think he would change some things back. Go back to where it was a better balance between the two. The problem I see is that the longer Vince hangs onto the controls, the harder that transition a few steps back would be, as more old guys finish up and not that many of the younger guys have much experience in cutting unscripted promos or working longer matches.
          Well yeah, as reasonably close to "pro wrestling" as we'll ever get again. There's not going to be Mid South territory style stuff ever again.
          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Bigpapa42
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
            There were hardly 4* matches on every card, but from a business POV, it was a golden age.
            Definitely from a business standpoint. In that sense, it probably the high point for professional wrestling in North America. I know that some territories had huge boom periods during the territorial era, but nothing was as widespread.

It was also a great period for entertainment value. Some great characters, great promos and angles, and just some really innovative stuff overall. But the actual wrestling was pretty hit or miss. Especially amongst the top guys.

I just find that a lot of fans, probably myself included, idealize the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era as being something approaching a perfect period in pro wrestling. When it really only stood out in certain ways.

Originally posted by FedEx227
            Well yeah, as reasonably close to "pro wrestling" as we'll ever get again. There's not going to be Mid South territory style stuff ever again.
            Yes and no. The WWE won't go that direction. ROH isn't that far removed from the old territorial style of booking. If TNA ever got their shit together and really took a look at what their best way forward is, they might realize that simplistic storytelling and a focus on in-ring action might be the way to grow.

Comment

• FedEx227
              Delivers
              • Mar 2009

That's what I mean mostly. HHH is going to give you simplistic storytelling, in-ring and not comedy skits.

Also more promos in front of the crowd, that's one of my biggest pet peeves about Raw. Why have the guy cut a promo backstage? So the crowd can all sit and watch a big TV. Do that shit out in the ring, on the ramp, in the ring, whatever... let the crowd actually react and be involved in promos.
              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                • Feb 2009

I don't believe they would completely get away from comedy stuff under Triple H... I mean, this is the guy who gave us so much toilet humor as part of DX. I do think it would probably be a bit funnier than most of the current "comedy" crap.

I honestly don't think every promo should take place in the ring. If its either a really simple promo or someone who maybe is still developing top-level promo skills, then the backstage interview is fine.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

I think a format change is long overdue.

Maybe switch the promos from pre match to post match. Different camera angles. No more creepy/weird guys talking backstage, seemingly oblivious to the camera man. Bring back the old Mean Gene interview podium. Squash matches. Anything to mix it up.

At least make one show different. Samckdown is blue, Raw is red. Everything else is the same.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                    I think a format change is long overdue.

Maybe switch the promos from pre match to post match. Different camera angles. No more creepy/weird guys talking backstage, seemingly oblivious to the camera man. Bring back the old Mean Gene interview podium. Squash matches. Anything to mix it up.

At least make one show different. Samckdown is blue, Raw is red. Everything else is the same.
                    This is perhaps the single greatest failure of the brand extension era. Separate brands was truly an opportunity for the WWE, to appeal to a wide audience. To give the audience of each show something different. For a time, that was the case. Then it became, as you say, more of the same. The McMahon vision isn't diversity - its all the same.

Definitely agree that they need to freshen things up. The set hasn't changed in years and its the same for every show.

Comment

• FedEx227
                      Delivers
                      • Mar 2009

Tell me Miz doing the promo on the stage during the Retro Raw wasn't fucking awesome.
                      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                        • Feb 2009

Tell me Miz doing the promo on the stage during the Retro Raw wasn't fucking awesome.
                        It was. And it basically reinforces my point - having guys who can cut strong promos and/or great a strong reaction do promos on the stage or in the ring works. You are maximizing the crowd reaction. But if its DH Smith and he's got a 2-minute promo, why bother? It takes him longer to get down the ring than the amount of time it would take to get his basic point across, he's not going to get a strong crowd reaction, and the fans aren't going to care that much. So that kind of promo, from a midcard guy that isn't going to get a huge reaction, I think having an in-ring promo is actually detrimental.

Comment

• FedEx227
                          Delivers
                          • Mar 2009

Simple solution, guys that can't talk either get managers that can talk or don't talk.
                          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                            • Feb 2009

Simple solution, guys that can't talk either get managers that can talk or don't talk.
                            Would be nice, but that's not happening. Plus, it won't help if the fans don't care yet about the worker or the manager - no matter how good they are on the stick. A dead crowd because they just don't know the talent just looks bad. But give those relatively unknown workers or managers a few backstage interveiws where they can give the fans reason to cheer or boo and the reaction might be better.

Or you could them in the ring for the promo in front a crowd that doesn't care yet and will therefore break out the wonderful "WHAT?" chant.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

El Generico worked a tryout match for TNA tonight.

Selfishly, I hope they don't sign him. They won't "get" the gimmick, he'll get some retarded name, and he'll be lost in the shuffle.

Say, whatever happened to Nigel McGuinness? That guy was pretty good.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                                Giants in the Super Bowl
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                                El Generico worked a tryout match for TNA tonight.

Selfishly, I hope they don't sign him. They won't "get" the gimmick, he'll get some retarded name, and he'll be lost in the shuffle.

Say, whatever happened to Nigel McGuinness? That guy was pretty good.
                                too depressing to think about

Ironically, CM Punk has had a MUCH BETTER career thus far in WWE than anyone could have imagined.

Bourne was given the infamous start/stop pushes, so Punk is the only real indy king who's "made it" in either promotion.

Everyone else has had some sort of shit to deal with that's held them down (AJ Styles perhaps is the best TNA figure but he's too comically based, Nigel, Motor City Machine Guns, Joe, Bourne, Cabana, Daniels, Homicide, Low Ki, Aries, Strong, Lethal, London, Spanky).

Comment

Working...