X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SethMode
    Master of Mysticism
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ryne candy
    Supposedly it won't allow for game rentals?? I guess that is the end of GF & Weekend Confirmed (in the present form).
    It certainly sounds like that is the case, although they've been stupidly coy about it even in their "official" press release.

My guess would be anyone that doesn't have the favor of the publishers will get the axe. That seems to be the big focus. So I would guess that Redbox is out.

Comment

• jms493
      • Feb 2009

loaning or renting games won't be available at launch," the company is "exploring the possibilities" to introduce this in the future.

Comment

• BigBucs
        Unpretentious
        • May 2009

Originally posted by PP
        If Sony is smart and they had similar plans with used games they need to go ahead and scrap it. This is a free win for getting people to their console.
        Hasnt it been confirmed that Sony isnt going that route?

Comment

• padman59
          Slayer of Demons
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BigBucs
          Hasnt it been confirmed that Sony isnt going that route?
          They haven't really gone into detail about their plans for used games, but the speculation right now is that they'll go a similar route as Microsoft. Hopefully, Sony reveals what they're doing at E3.

Comment

• dave
            Go the fuck outside
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by padman59
            They haven't really gone into detail about their plans for used games, but the speculation right now is that they'll go a similar route as Microsoft. Hopefully, Sony reveals what they're doing at E3.
            Sony isn't just going a similar route, they're going the exact same route ... 100%. Anyone who believes otherwise is just being a ps4 fanboy. It's a done deal. No chance Microsoft announces what they've announced not knowing Sony is doing the exact same thing.

Both have bent over for publishers. Everything the Xbox One is doing will be the same on PS4 ... guaranteed.
            My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Primetime
              Thank You Prince
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by dave
              Sony isn't just going a similar route, they're going the exact same route ... 100%. Anyone who believes otherwise is just being a ps4 fanboy. It's a done deal. No chance Microsoft announces what they've announced not knowing Sony is doing the exact same thing.

Both have bent over for publishers. Everything the Xbox One is doing will be the same on PS4 ... guaranteed.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                I never really understood why anyone would care that companies/developers/whatever would use public means to talk up their product, even if they don't come right out and say it. Sure, don't go trusting a game's public rating on Metacritic or anything, but other than that, it's just as easy for some Joe Nobody to rant and rave about how much better one system is than another (we have a few of them here)...is it really so bad that a company like MS would hire people to do it too?
                Yes it is.
                If you are posing as a "regular" person than you are just flooding forum and sites with unsolicited spam. Not knowing who's a real member and who's a company shill undermines the integrity of both the site and the company.

Example... Knowing this.. I just assume any positive XBO feedback is just BS at this point. Because the entirety of genuine feedback has been negative and they hire people for positive balance I'll just ignore the positive from now on. And that's not spite against MS. I've done that for many products over the years. Word of mouth and end user opinions are invaluable to my consumer spending. Companies fuck with that trust at there own risk.
                Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• SethMode
                  Master of Mysticism
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                  Yes it is.
                  If you are posing as a "regular" person than you are just flooding forum and sites with unsolicited spam. Not knowing who's a real member and who's a company shill undermines the integrity of both the site and the company.

Example... Knowing this.. I just assume any positive XBO feedback is just BS at this point. Because the entirety of genuine feedback has been negative and they hire people for positive balance I'll just ignore the positive from now on. And that's not spite against MS. I've done that for many products over the years. Word of mouth and end user opinions are invaluable to my consumer spending. Companies fuck with that trust at there own risk.
                  Still it's a public forum. If they want to maintain their integrity they should make it harder to join.

Comment

• dave
                    Go the fuck outside
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Primetime
                    Not really sure what that means. LOL
                    My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Golden Taters
                      RIP West
                      • Jul 2009

I actually agree with Dave here, I think PS4 is going to go the same route on the used game issue. We shall see.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                        Still it's a public forum. If they want to maintain their integrity they should make it harder to join.
                        Its not a knock on the forum. Its a knock on a company willing to do all that just to cover up for a shitty product. Theres PLENTY of people all over the net pubbing there companies but doing so "in disguise" is just pathetic to me. IMO its simply not worth the risk.
                        Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• ryne candy
                          Aggie C/O '01
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Primetime
                          Originally posted by dave
                          Not really sure what that means. LOL
                          That just reminded me of Alien Nation. Feel like grabbing a bottle of sour milk and getting crunk.

Comment

• BigBucs
                            Unpretentious
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by padman59

Sony tells Eurogamer: PlayStation 4 will not block used games

Shuhei Yoshida confirms it. Plus: source tells EG patent wasn't PS4-related.

By Tom Bramwell Published Thursday, 21 February 2013

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month.

I sat down with Yoshida a few hours after the PS4 reveal tonight and one of the first things I asked was whether used games would be blocked.

"Do you want us to do that?" he asked.

No, I said. I think, if you buy something on a disc, that you have a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from that you retain some of that value and you can pass it on.
                            Do you agree, I asked?

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?

"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

I said I thought that was fine. Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all. The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that could be recognised and read by your console, which would then bind it to you and prevent you from selling it on. But whatever reason Sony did have for patenting it, it sounds like it wasn't for its next-generation console. Hopefully Microsoft will also avoid this ludicrous technology with its next-generation Xbox as well.

Comment

• PP
                              • Feb 2010

Dave... you know what happens when you assume right?

Either way MS trying to brush it off to the publishers is gay. Their whole approach to the console is stupid and just gives their gamers a big middle finger. Money hungry is all it is. They want a piece of that Gamestop pie.

Comment

• jms493
                                • Feb 2009

How would ms get a piece of the gamestop pie?

Comment

Working...