X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FedEx227
    Delivers
    • Mar 2009

I'll have to listen to what he said about the show and I'll get back to you on what his thoughts are. I know what he's always said, but I'll see if he actually stuck by that or went away from it because honestly RAW was right up his alley for the most part.
    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• EmpireWF
      Giants in the Super Bowl
      • Mar 2009

He crapped on just about everything and talked glowingly about the Roderick Strong/Davey Richards match on ROH TV. He's with them, but if you're into wrestling with no frills, ROH is your place.

Comment

• dave
        Go the fuck outside
        • Oct 2008

I understand Cornette's opinion.
        IMO, part of wrestling is the entertainment, interviews and what-not, but I understand his viewpoint.

I tend to think if wrestling ever became just about the in-ring work, it would die.

There has to be a happy medium.

I loved the early to mid-80s AWA and WWF stuff. Solid in-ring work, but great interviews too.

I have HDNet and watch ROH every so often. I don't take anything away from their work, but the ROH kids have very little personality ... and that adds something to the mix.

I'm sorry, but a pasty, small white kid like Bryan Danielson may be a great in-ring worker, but it takes more than that to be great at every level in pro wrestling.

IMO, a guy like Kurt Angle (in his prime) is what a pro wrestler should be - right look, right in-ring work, great on the mic. You have to have all three.
        My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• FedEx227
          Delivers
          • Mar 2009

Cornette is just doing lip service I think. Honestly the way RAW was constructed outside of the campy DX comedy bit, was basically booked like an old school wrestling event. Guys had promos in the ring, there was tension throughout the show that FELT real, etc.
          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

ROH on HDNet is alot like ECW on TNN. By the time each group got national TV, they were no longer doing the things that got them to national TV, and most of the charasmatic stars were gone.

Everybody knows I was the biggest ROH shill at MM. But I watch ROH on HDNet every week, and i'm only slightly less bored than when I watch RAW.

ROH peaked from 2004-2007. Nobody could touch them when they had Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Brian Danielson, AJ Styles, Briscoes, Nigel McGuinness, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Alex Shelley, Low Ki, etc etc etc, plus bringing in the top guys from NOAH & Dragon Gate. Those cards were stacked, top to bottom.

But unlike ECW, which couldnt withstand all the talent losses and suffered with guys like Justin Credible and Rhino and Steve Corino on top, ROH was still doing OK with the Chris Hero's and Tyler Blacks and Necro Butchers and Davey Richards of the world, because Gabe Sapolsky knew where to find the top indy talent to replace the old gaurd.

When Gabe was replaced by Adam Pearce, it was all over. ROH dosent feel like "ROH" anymore, it isnt the cutting edge, place to see the best wrestlers having the best matches (well, yeah it still kinda is, but work with me here....) anymore. Now it's a bunch of good, and a few great workers doing WWE/TNA-lite, with 8 minute rushed TV matches and bad WWE-esque promos.

If you werent there, you missed it. Sorry.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
              ROH on HDNet is alot like ECW on TNN. By the time each group got national TV, they were no longer doing the things that got them to national TV, and most of the charasmatic stars were gone.

Everybody knows I was the biggest ROH shill at MM. But I watch ROH on HDNet every week, and i'm only slightly less bored than when I watch RAW.

ROH peaked from 2004-2007. Nobody could touch them when they had Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Brian Danielson, AJ Styles, Briscoes, Nigel McGuinness, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Alex Shelley, Low Ki, etc etc etc, plus bringing in the top guys from NOAH & Dragon Gate. Those cards were stacked, top to bottom.

But unlike ECW, which couldnt withstand all the talent losses and suffered with guys like Justin Credible and Rhino and Steve Corino on top, ROH was still doing OK with the Chris Hero's and Tyler Blacks and Necro Butchers and Davey Richards of the world, because Gabe Sapolsky knew where to find the top indy talent to replace the old gaurd.

When Gabe was replaced by Adam Pearce, it was all over. ROH dosent feel like "ROH" anymore, it isnt the cutting edge, place to see the best wrestlers having the best matches (well, yeah it still kinda is, but work with me here....) anymore. Now it's a bunch of good, and a few great workers doing WWE/TNA-lite, with 8 minute rushed TV matches and bad WWE-esque promos.

If you werent there, you missed it. Sorry.
              By that point, while ECW on TNN was still watchable, was merely a shell of what it used to be...couldn't do it when you had the Dudley Boys (maybe the top heels in the company) and Taz (the top "babyface") leaving within two weeks and trying to replace them with the Lance Storm/Justin Credible, Mike Awesome (who subsequently left after six months, with the belt)...was truly a mess...they just couldn't keep up with WCW and WWF taking their talent left and right (amongst a load of other things, but if we are talking simply about quality of programming...)

Comment

• FedEx227
                Delivers
                • Mar 2009

It started really going downhill. RVD was the only saving grace, hell you had Danny Doring and Roadkill every show.
                VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                  It started really going downhill. RVD was the only saving grace, hell you had Danny Doring and Roadkill every show.
                  CHICK-ENS!!!!! *slobber*

RVD was a saving grace, but it wasn't enough and RVD never had the chance to become that guy to be the face of the company...was going to happen when they gave him both belts, but he broke his ankle and when he came back, just wasn't the same...ECW was depleted and instead of the big Mike Awesome/RVD match, we got RVD v. Scotty Riggs and more Jerry Lynn...

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Larry
                    By that point, while ECW on TNN was still watchable, was merely a shell of what it used to be...couldn't do it when you had the Dudley Boys (maybe the top heels in the company) and Taz (the top "babyface") leaving within two weeks and trying to replace them with the Lance Storm/Justin Credible, Mike Awesome (who subsequently left after six months, with the belt)...was truly a mess...they just couldn't keep up with WCW and WWF taking their talent left and right (amongst a load of other things, but if we are talking simply about quality of programming...)
                    Replace ECW on TNN with ROH on HDNet, and Dudleys & Taz with Amdrag & Nigel, and you just broke down current ROH.

They even have Steve Corino on the roster.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                      Replace ECW on TNN with ROH on HDNet, and Dudleys & Taz with Amdrag & Nigel, and you just broke down current ROH.

They even have Steve Corino on the roster.
                      How is the booking with ROH right now? I stopped following a long time ago, so I am not sure...

I found ECW's booking at the TNN point to be ok, they just didn't have anyone that you gave a fuck about...they all left and the few that remained (RVD, for me, for example) was injured...Dreamer didn't have his rival, which took away from his appeal, and the old heads were back and forth between companie (if my ECW history is still good, Shane Douglas also left a little before ECW went to TNN, and Sandman was back and forth with WCW)...really just couldn't get attached to The 70s Guy and Rhino and the Impact Players (and especially Steve Corino, nothing really redeeming about him, never been a fan)...

...is that an issue with ROH right now? Is there anyone that you could give a fuck about?

Comment

• FedEx227
                        Delivers
                        • Mar 2009

To be fair Mike Awesome became The 70s Guys when he went to WCW. He was pretty solid in ECW playing a monster heel type with Judge Jones as his manager.
                        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Liquidrob
                          Izzy is a bum
                          • Feb 2009

Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

Is that a step-by-step "How to" to perform the Tatanka patented "Papoose To Go"?

Last edited by LiquidLarry2GhostWF; 01-06-2010, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Larry
                              How is the booking with ROH right now? I stopped following a long time ago, so I am not sure...

...is that an issue with ROH right now? Is there anyone that you could give a fuck about?
                              With Sapolsky in charge, every result mattered, and was a piece of the puzzle. There was really no "throw away" matches or shows...every show was important, because selling the DVD's was the #1 revenue stream. Each character had a direction, and there was clear long term booking that would all come together at "Final Battle" at the end of each year.

Adam Pearce has changed everything. 75% of the roster has no direction or storyline. Tons of throw away matches where the result is meaningless, so why should we care? It's like watching midcarders on WWE Superstars. The "house shows" are now just that--house shows with no meaning. Why buy a ticket?

It's also more character driven now, as opposed to athletically driven. Why would anyone watch another character driven promotion, especially when you cant compete with the slick presentation of the other two companies? At least ROH used to cater to a niche, now they cater to nobody.

This sums it up best:

The crew no longer works long, state of the art matches. KENTA & Davey Richards tore down the house in Houston on WM weekend. I was there, bpapa was there, bigbiss was there. Standing ovation, would have been the easy Match Of The Year in pro wrestliung if not for the botched finish, and its the match anyone who was there will remember forever. Well, Pearce chewed out both men when they came back through the curtain, because they gave the crowd "too much". Unreal.

The bottom line when it comes to ROH these days is this...the Gabe shows did tend to be overlaod sometimes, BUT...

I'd rather be burnt out than bored.

Comment

• young2rice
                                Rockstar
                                • Mar 2009

So TNA is said to likely go to monday night programming, and possibly as soon as two weeks from now.

-Matt Hardy/Gregory Helms are rumored to have asked for their release from the WWE with the hopes of joining Jeff/Shannon in TNA

-They stated there will be 2 big debuts @ genesis. (RVD / Kennedy?)

^^^ Fixed Link Finally!

My Band's Myspace - Validus

Comment

Working...