• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • padman59
    Slayer of Demons
    • Mar 2009

Netflix stopped working for me as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of interesting pieces of news came out tonight. The first is that Sony is considering offering a reward for information leading to an arrest of anyone who participated in the breach, and they're denying that they had outdated firmware and no firewalls on their servers.

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

The second is that two members of Anonymous have come forward saying that other members of the group were likely responsible for the breach. I'm not sure this is entirely surprising though.

One Anonymous member told the FT that he saw technical details of a vulnerability in Sony’s network that enabled the break-in discussed on an Anonymous chat room, shortly before the intrusion.

Comment

• DDRGuido
      gx
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Colonel Angus
      Are there really people here that think PSN is better than XBL? Even before this hacking incident the only good thing about PSN was that it was free.
      I know it's been discussed but it wasn't free. I had to purchase a $300 PS3 to access PSN. I might be in the minority in the console world but I game exclusively online. Maybe I should of got a 360 instead. But I wanted a ps3 because Zipper made Socom II. (my fav game of all time and best experience gaming online). Shoulda stuck with ps2 servers SONY! I don't ever remember not being able to play for two and half weeks going on 3.

Comment

• Helicopter
        V Why?
        • Feb 2009

I wish people (no offense Guido) would stop saying that PSN isn't free and is included in the price of the console. Does that mean that Microsoft charges you for online service when you purchase a 360, and still charges another fee on top of that?

If someone gives me a PS3 and I pay nothing for it, I can take that PS3 and play online....for FREE! The same cannot be said about the 360.

Sorry. Just tired of hearing that PSN isn't free. It IS!

sigpic

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by MrBill
          I'm pretty sure it was Christmas '07 and starting that day through a day or so after New Years that XBL was sporadically available. Some people had more trouble than others but it was pretty much a week that the service was not working correctly. In Microsoft's defense, it was because so many people were trying to use it and crashed the system as opposed to letting themselves be hacked and having to bring the whole network down.
          That is exactly why. I remember it, as it was a huge spike in membership. That will happen to any online service. There hasn't been an issue like that since.

Originally posted by Scikotic
          Aside from this outage, I see absolutely no difference at all. Except that playstation owners haven't had to fork out $200 in the last 4 years just to play online.
          Right, but I pay that money each month, and I don't have to worry about the network being down, nor do I feel like my personal information is at risk. It sucks having to pay that money, but it also helps Microsoft reinvent Live every year or so, and they always add something.

As someone else said, I too am sick of console wars. I also don't like paying the fee for Live, but I see the benefits of it, now more than ever.

Comment

• JayDizzle
            Let's Go All The Way...
            • Nov 2008

Gotta love instantaneous news on the internet...

I'm reading from Joystiq's twitter that stolen PSN data was published to the web.

...not so bad except that SONY had to remove 2500 names and partial addresses.

Of course I can't find the actual article attached to this statement so... :ionno:

Comment

• MrBill
              Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
              i havnt read any thoughts you have had on this PSN issue since it was discussed here back in January.

So what do make of all of it?
              I think Sony's heavy handed treatment of the hacker community backfired on them. Their online experience has never been as good as that of Microsoft but it has been more than adequate for a service that has been free to the end users. Microsoft on the other hand hasn't really done much to fight the hacker community, they just drew the line at playing on XBL with hacked games and have tried to fight them there. Had Microsoft gone after the hacker 'c4eva' that hacked their DVD firmware as hard as Sony went after 'geohot' then maybe there would have been some backlash against them.

Not sure that the hackers would have been as successful going against Microsoft though since they pride themselves on security and as a technology company, they would lose billions in revenue if it was perceived they could be taken down by a bunch of juvenile Internet hackers. Sony will not take as big a hit to their image over this since they are a hardware company first and foremost.

Comment

• padman59
                Slayer of Demons
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by JayDizzle
                Gotta love instantaneous news on the internet...

I'm reading from Joystiq's twitter that stolen PSN data was published to the web.

...not so bad except that SONY had to remove 2500 names and partial addresses.

Of course I can't find the actual article attached to this statement so... :ionno:
                They put the article back up. Apparently, Sony was hosting a file on their website that had names and partial addresses of users. That is what they took down (not stolen data).

Find in-depth gaming news and hands-on reviews of the latest video games, video consoles and accessories.

Comment

• Maynard
                  stupid ass titles
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Helicopter
                  I wish people (no offense Guido) would stop saying that PSN isn't free and is included in the price of the console. Does that mean that Microsoft charges you for online service when you purchase a 360, and still charges another fee on top of that?

If someone gives me a PS3 and I pay nothing for it, I can take that PS3 and play online....for FREE! The same cannot be said about the 360.

Sorry. Just tired of hearing that PSN isn't free. It IS!
                  i totally agree and see what you are saying.....but the PSN isnt free comment is more geared at its marketability rather than a fact.

i made the comment a ways back that one of the things that draws people to the PS3 is that the online service is totally free. So in essence, the service is sold as part of the package when you buy it

if im an online only gamer and i compare consoles, i know i pay for XBL and i get PSN for free. So if i choose the PS3 because of that, then it was (in a manor of speaking) included as part of the package

Originally posted by MrBill
                  I think Sony's heavy handed treatment of the hacker community backfired on them. Their online experience has never been as good as that of Microsoft but it has been more than adequate for a service that has been free to the end users. Microsoft on the other hand hasn't really done much to fight the hacker community, they just drew the line at playing on XBL with hacked games and have tried to fight them there. Had Microsoft gone after the hacker 'c4eva' that hacked their DVD firmware as hard as Sony went after 'geohot' then maybe there would have been some backlash against them.

Not sure that the hackers would have been as successful going against Microsoft though since they pride themselves on security and as a technology company, they would lose billions in revenue if it was perceived they could be taken down by a bunch of juvenile Internet hackers. Sony will not take as big a hit to their image over this since they are a hardware company first and foremost.
                  interesting....do u think it can be patched? its been well stated that it can only be fixed via new hardware. knowing what you know....do u think it can be fixed or just band aided until the next time?

Comment

• Maynard
                    stupid ass titles
                    • Feb 2009

also would like to see what killgod and leaffan have to say

Comment

• leaffan
                      Colton Orr Fan
                      • Feb 2009

also would like to see what killgod and leaffan have to say
                      Fuck sony

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• hackett
                        the dude abides
                        • Aug 2009

if im an online only gamer and i compare consoles, i know i pay for XBL and i get PSN for free. So if i choose the PS3 because of that, then it was (in a manor of speaking) included as part of the package
                        If you were an online only gamer, wouldn't you go for Live because of the quality of online gaming there vs PSN? I'm thinking that if I'm buying a console, games, controllers. That I wouldn't have an issue with whatever the fee is for Live (and I don't) if I were an online only gamer. The choice to go with PSN because it's free over Live because it's not seems far fetched.

Comment

• Maynard
                          stupid ass titles
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by hackett
                          If you were an online only gamer, wouldn't you go for Live because of the quality of online gaming there vs PSN? I'm thinking that if I'm buying a console, games, controllers. That I wouldn't have an issue with whatever the fee is for Live (and I don't) if I were an online only gamer. The choice to go with PSN because it's free over Live because it's not seems far fetched.
                          lol...tell that to all the ps3 only owners who play online. Millions choose the ps3 over the 360 for the simple fact that its online service is free. Look at when the 2 consoles launched. back on MM there were at least 100 people who did not buy a 360 because they knew they had to pay to play madden online. So they waited and got a PS3 instead. Why? because online is free

this whole point boils down to people telling other people not to bitch about PSN being down because the PSN is free. But my point is people who bought a PS3 have every right to be upset about it being down because they bought their PS3 knowing that one of the perks to the console was free online gaming.

Comment

• KNUBB
                            WHITE RONDO
                            • Jun 2009

Seriously shut the fuck up everyone!!!!! If you fucks were actually discussing something then this would be a non-issue, but there is nothing but bitching and moaning going on in here. Either be patient and wait or go get a 360.

Comment

• Scikotic
                              Straight out the Asylum
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by KNUBB
                              Seriously shut the fuck up everyone!!!!! If you fucks were actually discussing something then this would be a non-issue, but there is nothing but bitching and moaning going on in here. Either be patient and wait or go get a 360.

Comment

• Scikotic
                                Straight out the Asylum
                                • Apr 2011

I didn't buy an Xbox because I have always hated their controller, and some of the PS3 exclusives like GTA and Metal Gear Solid. Getting free online was a pretty kick ass bonus to the deal, but now I have myself asking, "to what extent do I say fuck it and cut my losses?"

Just sucks, I have two brand new slim PS3's in my house.

Comment

Working...