X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maynard
    stupid ass titles
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by hackett
    You could be catergorized as a "certain" ps3 owner. Just sayin.

not as it relates to the context of this discussion. just sayin

Comment

• hackett
      the dude abides
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
      not as it relates to the context of this discussion. just sayin
      Noted

Comment

• padman59
        Slayer of Demons
        • Mar 2009

Looks like PSN won't be restored this weekend.

As you may know, we’ve begun the process of restoring the service through internal testing of the new system. We’re still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system. Verifying the system security is vital for the process of restoration. Additional comprehensive system checks and testing are still required, and we must complete that process before bringing the systems online.

As you’ve heard us say, our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe. We won’t restore the services until we can test the system’s strength in these respects.

When we held the press conference in Japan last week, based on what we knew, we expected to have the services online within a week. We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system. We know many of you are wanting to play games online, chat with your friends and enjoy all of the services PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer, and trust me when I say we’re doing everything we can to make it happen. We will update you with more information as soon as we have it. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience of this network outage.
        As you may know, we've begun the process of restoring the service through internal testing of the new system. We're still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system. Verifying the system security is [...]

Comment

• MrBill
          Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
          the only nuthuggers are certain ps3 owners. i guess i would be bitter if i couldnt play games online either

i dont care what joystick or cagcast says...my XBL was never done for a week. funny how no other die hard gamers recall it being down. Sluggish for a few days? yes it was...but never down. Even still...who cares?

if your bent on comparing...did it ever go down for weeks and expose 24 million users to identity theft and credit card fraud? i think not
          I'm pretty sure it was Christmas '07 and starting that day through a day or so after New Years that XBL was sporadically available. Some people had more trouble than others but it was pretty much a week that the service was not working correctly. In Microsoft's defense, it was because so many people were trying to use it and crashed the system as opposed to letting themselves be hacked and having to bring the whole network down.

Comment

• JayDizzle
            Let's Go All The Way...
            • Nov 2008

Comment

• Maynard
              stupid ass titles
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MrBill
              I'm pretty sure it was Christmas '07 and starting that day through a day or so after New Years that XBL was sporadically available. Some people had more trouble than others but it was pretty much a week that the service was not working correctly. In Microsoft's defense, it was because so many people were trying to use it and crashed the system as opposed to letting themselves be hacked and having to bring the whole network down.
              i havnt read any thoughts you have had on this PSN issue since it was discussed here back in January.

So what do make of all of it?

Comment

• Colonel Angus
                No longer a noob
                • Jan 2010

Are there really people here that think PSN is better than XBL? Even before this hacking incident the only good thing about PSN was that it was free.

Comment

• Colonel Angus
                  No longer a noob
                  • Jan 2010

What really sucks about this outage is not having other subscriptions available that depend on PSN like Netflix or MLB TV. Will Sony reimburse us for the service time lost on those? Were going on the third week of this which means people with these services are going to lose almost a month worth of those services. I'm pretty sure MLB TV is about $10 a month and Netflix is $8.

I wouldn't be so pissed off if I still had access to netflix. I can live without online gaming but I never knew how much I used netflix. Anyone have MLB TV?

Comment

• Sharkweather
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Colonel Angus
                    What really sucks about this outage is not having other subscriptions available that depend on PSN like Netflix or MLB TV. Will Sony reimburse us for the service time lost on those? Were going on the third week of this which means people with these services are going to lose almost a month worth of those services. I'm pretty sure MLB TV is about $10 a month and Netflix is $8.

I wouldn't be so pissed off if I still had access to netflix. I can live without online gaming but I never knew how much I used netflix. Anyone have MLB TV?
                    MLB TV is $120 when the season starts, so $20/month. I never use it on my ps3 though, just computer.

Comment

• hackett
                      the dude abides
                      • Aug 2009

I prefer Playstation over Xbox because of the exclusives and controller. Also, add in the fact that Madden takes up 50% of my gaming time and I have been playing against the same guys in leagues going on 10 yrs on Playstation..... Then that is my only argument as to why I favor PS.
                      I like the Xbox too. I've just had shit luck with keeping one operational for an extended period of time and the last one I had was stolen. Not to mention I tried buying one last winter online, but was lost in the mail. Thinking of trying again this summer when the rumored price drop takes place.

*edit* my netflix is still operational through PS3.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                        Giants in the Super Bowl
                        • Mar 2009

Netflix is still useable despite PSN being down.

Comment

• dave
                          Go the fuck outside
                          • Oct 2008

Watching movies on my PS3 via Bluray is great. Renting movies, I prefer 360 because my 360 has wireless N, not G ... and that's a big factor.
                          I honestly don't care about console wars anymore.
                          Both machines have their strengths and weaknesses.
                          I am not freaking out about the PSN thing. It happened. I will never incur a bad charge on my VISA. I don't like that it happened and will be part of the Canadian class action lawsuit, but it happened ... and could have happened to any company.
                          I am only being part of the class action suit because I want Sony to take my personal information security seriously.

Something like this could just as easily happen to Microsoft, don't kid yourselves.
                          My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Scikotic
                            Straight out the Asylum
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Colonel Angus
                            Are there really people here that think PSN is better than XBL? Even before this hacking incident the only good thing about PSN was that it was free.
                            Aside from this outage, I see absolutely no difference at all. Except that playstation owners haven't had to fork out $200 in the last 4 years just to play online.

Comment

• Scikotic
                              Straight out the Asylum
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by hackett
                              I prefer Playstation over Xbox because of the exclusives and controller. Also, add in the fact that Madden takes up 50% of my gaming time and I have been playing against the same guys in leagues going on 10 yrs on Playstation..... Then that is my only argument as to why I favor PS.
                              I like the Xbox too. I've just had shit luck with keeping one operational for an extended period of time and the last one I had was stolen. Not to mention I tried buying one last winter online, but was lost in the mail. Thinking of trying again this summer when the rumored price drop takes place.

*edit* my netflix is still operational through PS3.
                              If I didn't hate the Xbox controller so much, I would probably give it a try.

Comment

• Colonel Angus
                                No longer a noob
                                • Jan 2010

I was able to watch netflix on PSN through the outage up to Monday. Idk what changed but it won't load my selections anymore. That's why I'm mad now. I didn't realize how much I used it until now.

As far as console wars, I don't care either. I've had both. I like both. But XBL is much better than PSN and I didn't really mind paying for it. When I went from XBL to PSN it was a pretty lousy transition.

Comment

Working...